THE LITERARY STRUCTURE
OF THE BOOK OF EXODUS 1–18
six pericopes and their chiastic thematic relation
The presentation of the structure of the remaining pericopes is now omitted – this problem may be supplemented in the future. Now, however, the totality of the structure of Exo 1–18 will be shown.
It is ascertained as a result of research with the theocentric method that the Book of Exodus 1–18 at the level of content:
- is composed of six pericopes:
1,1–6,1; 6,2–11,10; 12,1–13,16; 13,17–14,31; 15,1–21; 15,22–18,27,
- each pericope separately communicates strictly definite topic, which is different from topics of other pericopes,
- consecutive pericopes serve to exhibit consecutive stages of the plan of the God liberating the People of Israel from Egypt,
- pairs of pericopes: 1st and 6th; 2nd and 5th; 3rd and 4th are linked by the relation “announcement – fulfillment”,
- the literary entirety, composed of six pericopes, has a concentric structure A B C C’ B’ A’.